httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: sequence numbers
Date Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:27:47 GMT

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> +1 for this concept. Presumably mod_log_config can have a new %-directive
> to log the uuencoded sequence identifier (%S?). Or just stick it as an
> environment variable so that CGI get get at it and log as %{sequenceid}e?

I'll definately put it in an environment variable, so I'll just leave
mod_log_config alone.  That's good enough for mod_php and mod_perl to take
advantage of it as well, right?

> Is there any benefit in logging it as a (large) integer rather than a
> uuencoded string (e.g. for importing as a sequence _number_ field in a
> database?).

I dunno, it'd be huge... as an integer it's on a 10-character alphabet.
uuencoded it's on a 64-character alphabet.  Someone rolling it into a
database would be able to convert should they want to.  But db weenies
generally want dense sequence numbers, and mine are very sparse.  So
they'd probably generate an apache_seqno -> db_seqno mapping table anyhow.

Dean

P.S. I use the term "weenie" affectionately.  You knew that right? ;)

P.P.S. Actually using this value in cookies is quite challenging ... due
to API hassles... but I forget why, and we'll probably find out once it's
in the server and someone tries to use it.  I implemented a more versatile
system for hotwired and ran into no end of troubles getting my cookies and
sequence numbers happy.  I've happily forgot why :)