httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3a1 Authentification (re) (fwd)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 1997 03:48:41 GMT
The problem is that unix crypt() is a one-way function.  Our auth scheme
is based on having a one-way function.  So your two-way code can't just be
plugged in.

The "proper" NT solution is probably different than the proper unix
solution.

All of this is also clouded by export control issues.  We can quite easily
pick up a crypt() function from one of the freely available unixes.  But
we probably can't just stick it in our code tree.  Although I wonder how
the linux folks get away with it.  The FreeBSD folks use md5 which can be
exported.

Dean