httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [CFV]: mod_speling revived
Date Sat, 09 Aug 1997 01:31:25 GMT
Actually the best choice in my opinion is to rename apachen to apache-1_3,
and then start using that as the repository.  We should *not* be using the
name "apache" any longer because otherwise people with checked out working
copies of code against the current "apache" cannot easily upgrade.  They
also may screw things up committing code against the wrong repository.

For that matter, after 1.2.2 is released I would heartily sanction the
creation of apache-1_2, and the lopping off of HEAD from there, and the
re-routing of the 1.2 branch to be HEAD on apache-1_2... I wish I had
listened to Roy and Marc's advice about this ages ago.  Working on the
apache 1.2 branch is really slow now that there's so many extra revisions
in head (branches are rebuilt by applying all the changes in reverse from
HEAD back to branch point, and then apply changes forward on the branch
...  this is like 40 or 50 patches for some files).

Once apache-1_3 is created, and everyone has used one of my various
suggestions for bringing over working changes, then the current apache
repository should be frozen -- remove group and user write access to all
directories.  (You can't do this earlier, because lame cvs requires write
permission even to "cvs update".)

So to summarize:

- rename apachen to apache-1_3
- bring apache-1_3 up to date with latest RCS files from apache
- cp apache apache-1_2
- do a bunch of rcs crap to convert the 1.2 branch in apache-1_2 into the
  HEAD
- wait two weeks, vigilantly watching for mistaken commits on apache
- make apache read-only

Dean