httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: chunking too often?
Date Sun, 03 Aug 1997 00:28:37 GMT
No it's not a waste to be able to reliably tell the client that they
received the entire message and not part of the message.  Consider a proxy
which is caching a response from a server when the network hiccups and
it's only 50% of the way through the response.  Without chunking,
Content-Length, or multipart/byteranges there is no way for the proxy to
know that it received the entire response.  (In practice Content-MD5 can
also do the same thing.)

I personally like us chunking on all dynamic responses.  It sets a very
good example.

I'm suprised that rfc2068 doesn't say this is a MUST ... Roy?  I thought
it was a MUST but I can't find it.

Dean