httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Rename SetEnvIf* to RequestMatch* ?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:26:02 GMT
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>     Alexei requested that SetEnvIf and SetEnvIfNoCase be renamed to
>     {mumble}Match* to be more inline with other RE-handling directives.
>     The first pass suggestion was HeaderMatch*, but that got vetoed by
>     Paul because it's more powerful than that.  I suggested
>     RequestMatch*, but the discussion stopped at that point.
>
>     So.. votes for or against renaming to RequestMatch*?  I'll commit
>     that change on Saturday unless discussion says nay (lazy voting
>     rules).

I am against this naming scheme. The semantics of SetEnvIf are to set and
environment variable *if* some condition is true. So it seems that
SetEnvIf is a completely logical, correct and explanatory name. It is also
consistent with the existing SetEnv which provides an unconditional
environment variable setting function. Leaving the directive as SetEnvIf
makes its similarity with SetEnv clear, and has the fortunate side-effect
of keeping both directives close together in sorted lists of directives.
Keeping the name as SetEnvIf also allows us room in the future to expand
its role to (for example) set an envvar based on an already existing env
var.

//pcs