httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: bug in new Makefile
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:15:50 GMT
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
> >On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >> At any rate, doesn't this do everything, without caring what the modules
> >> directories build?
> >>
> >> subdirs :
> >> 	for i in $(SUBDIRS); do \
> >> 	    ( cd $$i; $(MAKE) ) \
> >> 	done
> >
> >Ok, here is a cleanup for the new Configure. This now builds libraries for
> >all the subdirectories where it creates Makefiles (os/unix, core,
> >modules/*).
>
>     This I don't like.  Why do libraries?  I'm very concerned that this

Surely there cannot be any problems building libraries since mod_proxy and
regex have always been built as libraries and linked in. Provided that the
libraries are listed in the _right_ order on the link line of course. It
also makes some things neater: for instance, src/Makefile does not need to
know the individual filenames of the files in core (i.e. less
duplication). And we can build an os-specific library (libos.a) from
*multiple* source files if necessary, because src/Makefile now does not
have to have to know that os/unix/os.c exists.

>     can cause problems on systems that don't do iterative loading.

Do you mean doing makes in successive sub-directories? If so, there cannot
be a problem since it already occurs in 1.2 when building the modules (top
level effectively does (cd modules; make) and modules/Makefile does a (cd
proxy;  make).

Or is this some other problem?

//pcs