httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: bug in new Makefile
Date Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:37:44 GMT
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> But doesn't this have that same problem?  What if a modules directory
> doesn't do the last-built thing?

All auto-built Makefiles will do the right thing. proxy and example
makefiles will need updating as well, and yes third party modules with
their own makefiles are unlikely to do it right. That's way it was an
interim solution.

> At any rate, doesn't this do everything, without caring what the modules
> directories build?

Yeah, the difficulty is bulding the link line. As you know, there are two
types of module directories: those where Configure builds a make file, and
will create a library with a known name. And those with their own Makefile
where the library or object name is from Configuration. Unfortunately
Configure decides on the object names early on in an awk script, and only
right at the end in sh decides whether to build a Makefile in the module
dirs. It can be done but would take more than the five minutes or so I
wanted to spend on it at the time.

Ok, I'll try doing it properly. Do you know if there is a way to check for
a file's existence from within awk? I'm not much of an awk user...

//pcs