httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: to core or not to core
Date Sun, 17 Aug 1997 15:43:31 GMT
On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Something I just thought of while looking at apachen....
>
> We now have a directory called core.  On many systems, crontabs are
> run on a regular basis that go around removing core files.  On our
> systems, any file or directory named core is automatically excluded
> from the backups.
>
> I think we should change the name to "main" or "http".

Yeah, I'm quite happy for this to have a new name. I thought there might
be a problem with the "core" directory, but on the other hand it does sum
up the contents of the directory better than most other names. I would
also hope that any core-remover jobs would check to see that the target is
a file before attempting to delete it.

//pcs