httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Redirect to negotiated docs (PR#649)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:05:13 GMT
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> No.  Because of the redirect.  Most hits won't be cached.  That means that
> if you write HTML like Ken (<g>) you will do:
>
> 	<A HREF="docs/misc/FAQ">wheee</A>
>
> You are using multiviews.  That is "content negotiation", in one manner of
> speaking.  However, for multiviews it isn't really based on client
> capabilities so there normally isn't any wrong varient to cache.  If you
> send a redirect to FAQ.html, the client (assuming nothing cached) will
> have to send another request.

Yeah, good point. The server is configured to content negotiate where
there is only one variant to pick from. Kind of like an automatic
permanent redirect but without the cache-ability. So presumably Apache
could spot the fact that there is only one variant and then not set
r->no_cache.

Except I'm pretty sure that HTTP will require that servers allow for the
number of variant to change at any time. So the server shouldn't adapt the
cacheability based on the fact that there is only one variant *at any
particular time*. So we are back to a manual CacheNegotiatedDocs for sites
that know they'll only ever have one variant. Ok.

//pcs