httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: htdigest woes
Date Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:49:56 GMT
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> And rip apart http_main.c into a WIN32 version and a unix version.  I'm
> getting soooo lost in it lately.

Yeah, tell me something I don't know.

The difficulty with ripping out Win32 stuff is that there is no distintion
(at the moment) between stuff that is pure win32 (e.g. the spawning of
worker_main() processes) vs. stuff that is related to multithread per se
(e.g. the work that worker_main() does). It would be a mistake to abstract
out MT stuff as part of a Win32 abstractions. Really we need to abstract
out the MT stuff separately, and provide an abstract layer for MT
primatives (pthread_*() calls, etc) instead of win32's CreateMutex() and
friends. Then the MT code can be used for Unix as well at some point in
the future.

All of which is a major restructuring, so I think should be left to after
1.3. What I want to abstract before 1.3 is everything else that is OS
dependent (path mappings, opening files, symlinks, child process creation)
etc.

//pcs