httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: apachen - 3rd-party modules
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:04:04 GMT
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> Can someone please explain something to me: I've checked out apachen. I
> have a module file (mod_foo.c, say) that I've obtained from
> somewhere. How the heck do I get it to compile with Apache?
>
> The only way I've been able to figure out how to do it, short of creating
> its own Makefile and such, is to put it into modules/standard. Not my
> idea of the correct thing to do. And hardly easy to figure out.

Yes, that is the direct analogue of the current method, which is to drop
them in src (along with all the other modules, source files, api docs,
etc).

> I think we should create a modules/user directory, put a Makefile.tmpl
> with dependencies basically *.o: *.h (or whatnot). Then place clear
> instructions at the top (or bottom) of Configuration and INSTALL, saying
> "To install modules not included with Apache, place the module source
> file in modules/user, and add 'AddModule modules/user/mod_foo.o' to
> Configuration."

Yes. You could also just leave the Makefile.tmpl blank and let make use
its default dependencies. That is what happens in the old source
organisation. Previously it was all but impossible for module authors to
give they modules proper makefile or dependencies. Now it is easy, but not
essential. A typical Makefile.tmpl would look like this:

  mod_foo.o: mod_foo.c $(INCDIR)/httpd.h $(INCDIR)/http_protocol.h

I though I committed a doc which explained to module authors how to create
module distributions for simple (single file) modules, binary modules and
complex modules (e.g. mod_proxy). Something like
htdocs/manual/sourcereorg.html in apachen.

//pcs