httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: BindAddress
Date Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:13:11 GMT
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Is BindAddress deprecated?  Doesn't Listen offer a more complete and more
> flexible setup?  Am I missing something that BindAddress does that Listen
> doesn't?
>
> Just doing some more work on the config files and thinking about removing
> the BindAddress example as extraneous in light of Listen.

I always considered BindAddress/Port to be mutually exclusive of Listen.
I even wrote a patch (but never submitted it) which issued warnings if
users used both Listen and one or more of BindAddress/Port. As I wrote in
htdocs/manual/bind.html (for Apache 1.1): "Listen can be used instead of
BindAddress and Port".

Is there any reason why Port is needed if Listen is being used?

//pcs