httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Order of negotiation (was: Re: Docs problems?)
Date Sat, 09 Aug 1997 17:47:13 GMT
On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >What really is missing from mod_negotiation, in my opinion, is a way to
> >set quality values on a directory or server-wide way. For example:
> >
> >  SetQuality text/plain 0.9
> >
> >to make negotiation prefer text/html types first. But this was veteod by
> >the group a long time ago in preference to building .var files containing
> >all the variants.
>
> Because there is no correlation between media type and quality of source.
> If you want such a thing, then it must be a preference list to be applied
> iff the best quality is equal for multiple variants.

Yes, I can see what you are saying and agree up to a point. Certainly
quality of source should be applied to each individual variant and is not
something you would normally apply to groups of variants by media type,
language or any other dimension of negotiation. However in practise I am
sure that (at least on my site) every text/plain document has a lower
quality of source that text/html documents - they don't include extensive
formatting, colours, inline or background images, etc. So I don't see why
I shouldn't be able to slight dis-prefer text/plain with respect to
text/html.

//pcs