httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: filter API spec
Date Fri, 29 Aug 1997 17:55:27 GMT
On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >
> > Ben asked to see this, others may be interested as well:
> >
> > This isn't formalized in any way, but here's a document describing the API
> > for and BUFF-based implementation of a filter API for Apache that Ed and I
> > have been talking about. It's a draft, and I've probably spelled things
> > wrong, but if anyone's curious, here it is:
>
> This is cool. I like it. Making SSL use it as a true filter may be a
> little tricky (though not impossible, I think - it'd involve using bits
> of SSLeay I haven't touched before, though). Hmmm ... also, how do you

Well, I don't know about that. SSL would presumable require other API
bits as well; the ability to change the default port (80->443) and scheme
(http->https) of a connection as well, for example. But that's a seperate
issue.

> ensure that stuff gets pushed in the right order (SSL would have to go
> below most other things, for example).

First in, first out. The filters get pushed onto a stack, so as long as
SSL is the first item on the stack, it would be in the right order. It
would probably get tacked on in the new connection_open API phase, before
anything else, unless you had other transport-layer filters as
well that activates (i.e. if you had SSL and HTTP-NG filter modules,
you'd have to make sure they were in the right order.)

> > int my_write(BUFF *b, void *cookie, char *c, len l) {
> >     /* This filter makes all characters upper-case */
> >     toupper(c);
>
> Ooops... this is wrong, akshly:

Yes, I know that. But I wasn't trying to write real code, just a
simple example. Why would anyone want to make all their output uppercase,
anyway? That'd be silly :)

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>