httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: I/O filter API
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 07:52:51 GMT
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I don't see why sfio should be a problem - we had it running all over
> the place with RST's experimental version.

That's not my recollection. Only about five people ever ran apache-XX,
and I defenitely recall the porting issues involved with the sfio package
included being non-trivial. I have a memory of a long configuration file
that needed to be set up for each OS, although there were defaults for a
couple. Does anyone have a link where I can download a recent copy of
sfio and look at it?

I do know that RST switched to bstdio (a BSD-based stdio replacement that
Chris Provenzano used for his pthreads implementation, I believe), for
whatever reason, in later versions of apache-XX. I don't remember why
exactly he ceased using sfio, but there very well may have been a reason
for it.

While I agree that APIs are useful, this is really less of an interface
issue, and more of a "which code should we use" issue, because the API Ed
and I have been talking about can be implemented just as well on top of
sfio or any other full-featured stdio replacement as it can be written
into the BUFF code.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>