httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: I/O filter API
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 00:44:35 GMT
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Ed Korthof wrote:

> Alexis and I have been talking about an I/O filter API, and have come up
> with a method which we think would be reasonably and "clean" w/in the
> current framework.
>
> I understand there's also been some consideration of just replacing buff.c
> w/ stdio, which seems another way to go about this.  If it'd be possible
> to use stdio, of course, that'd be ideal; but my understanding is that
> stdio is not available everywhere Apache currently runs and that it may be
> a pain to configure on some platforms.

Besides meaning to spell my name correctly, Ed probably means sfio here,
not stdio (which we use already, obviously).

For about a year now, I've said that we really need some sort of
filtering (in sfio-speak, stacked disciplines) in Apache 2.0; If sfio is
portable to every platform Apache runs on, we could use that, and just
rewrite the BUFF API on top of it, which should be easy.

Buf if sfio isn't going to run with all the support Apache OSes, then it
really isn't an option. And in consideration, I don't think it'd be all
that hard to add this support into BUFF. It would take a bit of time and
effort, but not all that much.

Originally, Rob Thau had suggested that I add it back in 1.2, to do
chunked encoding. I thought about it, and decided to instead just hack
chunking in, because it was easier, but I think that we do really need
filtering support present in Apache, in some manner.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>