httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: [DOC] undocumented ContentDigest directive
Date Sun, 24 Aug 1997 20:19:53 GMT
On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> the ContentDigest directive is available since the first versions
> of Apache, but still undocumented.
> Attached is a patch to add it to the manual.

No, only since 1.1 or so. And -1 on adding it to the manual. It's an
undocumented feature. It was a bit proof-of-content code I added to
Apache, and was never designed to be used in a real web server. I forget
why - there's nothing insecure or anything about it - but I think it had to
do with performance (or lack thereof). Also, I am aware of 0 web browsers
that make use of it.

It's only possible use is to make sure a message wasn't truncated in
transit (since if the message can be changed, so can the hash, and TCP
has its own mechanisms to prevent data from being corrupted, so that's
not a concern), but Apache only applies it to files served by the core,
which all have Content-Length statements anyhow. And HTTP/1.1 provides
chunking to all other files, anyway.

So there's really no use for it.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>