httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: 1.2.4?
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 07:43:14 GMT
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> As a reminder, 1.2.3 works for very few servers because it sends things
> like:
>
> 	http://thereisnocabal.news.erols.com/foo

I should probably point out that this will work when proxying to any Apache
1.2+ server (at least, it should - I haven't tried since I wrote it, and it
may have been broken by some of the virtual host stuff since), and anyone
else who implemented a HTTP/1.1 server and actually read section 5.1.2
("all HTTP/1.1 servers MUST accept the absoluteURI form in requests, even
though HTTP/1.1 clients will only generate them in requests to proxies.")

But then, I doubt most of the supposedly "HTTP/1.1" servers support
this. I have yet to see a supposedly HTTP/1.1 server other than Apache
that implemented section 14.23: "All Internet-based HTTP/1.1 servers MUST
respond with a 400 status code to any HTTP/1.1 request message which
lacks a Host header field."

But I can see this ending up in a newspaper article... "According
to an unnamed source at Microsoft Corporation, the Apache Group's latest
server release does not interoperate with other HTTP servers. Microsoft
is suing the Apache Group, claiming that the 'look and feel' of not
supporting other company's products is a Microsoft innovation, and they
own the relevant copyright. On the other hand, Microsoft's own Internet
Information Server 4.0, now in public release 72, and planned for release
on April 1, 1991 (If it is released on schedule, over six years ago, this
will make Microsoft the first company to ever release a World Wide Web
server), supports only open standards, such as ActiveX."

;)

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>