httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Location: header and CGI specy
Date Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:44:11 GMT
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I would buy this if "Status" was something we added and wasn't defined in
> the spec... but it is defined in the spec and it doesn't say that we
> shouldn't do the Location processing if we get a Status.

Um... what spec? There certainly was none until well after Apache's
predecessor, the NCSA httpd, had CGI implemented. AFAIK, the only sort of
"spec" is David Robinson's ill-fated internet draft, which was supposed
to describe the codify the behavior of existing specifications.

Then there's NCSA's documentation, which isn't really a specification,
but more of a how-to on writing CGI scripts.

In other words, what I'm trying to say is this: There is no CGI
spec. Therefore, it can't define anything. Therefore, it can't say we
shouldn't do anything. Therefore, we should continue to do what we have
always done, which is what NCSA always did, which is what our users
expect, because they've been doing it for years.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>