httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Location: header and CGI specy
Date Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:10:48 GMT
On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Looks like a bug to me.

I suspect not. Apache only deals with the Location: header if there is no
that existed prior to Apache (NCSA and CERN - I don't know what more
recent servers do).

See, if you get headers as Marc shows, "Apache" does not return a
redirect. The CGI returns a redirect. In other words, Apache does not
parse Location, it does not provide a body, the CGI has to do all
that. And Apache doesn't know that "/foo/" isn't a valid response for
Location in whatever context the CGI is speaking to the browser.

Without Status:, Apache handles the redirect for the CGI, expanding it
(or doing an internal redirect), providing a body, etc... But it
shouldn't do that if the CGI has told Apache it can take care of itself.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>