httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/519: Need ability to log proxy requests to a seperate logfile (fwd)
Date Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:23:46 GMT
On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> >     BTW, *is* "mod_proxy.a" the way you'd check for the inclusion of the
> >     proxy module in an <IfModule>?

It's mod_proxy.c. It's whatever __FILE__ returns from the C preprocessor
where the module record exists.

> Why don't we generate the module names during Configure?  Use whatever
> name is given (or automatically determined) to AddModule for the module
> structure... rather than the filename.

We used to do this, back when mod_info was added. But it ended up
completely screwed up when you dynamically added/deleted modules, since
the "name" list didn't match the list of actual modules. Finally, someone
(I forget who) realized that we had a name for the module already in the
module structure, and it got changed to use that.

The proper thing to do is to make the name field in the module structure
accessable by the module author, instead of done by the preprocessor.

The 2.0 module structure could probably look something like this:

module foo_module {
    APACHE_MODULE_INIT,                    /* Apache gunk (API vers, etc) */
    "foo",                                 /* Short name, one-word */
    "The Foo Module 4.7, by Fred Foobar",  /* Long, descriptive name */
    .... (functions and structures and things)
}

Then you could use <IfModule foo> and the like, regardless of the actual
filename or symbol name.

Another thing that would be nice, but would be a problem, would be the
ability to be able to (especially in Windows) to drop a precompiled
module into a directory, and have it automatically load. This is easy
with DLLs, since they have a distinct namespace; just make a
function/variable in each with the same name (a "get_module" function, or
something). But that causes havoc because Apache modules can also be
compiled directly in, so you don't want namespace collisions.

I suppose one idea might be to use distinctive names, and then use a .def
file to make sure that the module structure/function is the first in the
DLL, and load them ordinally?

Anyhow, that's off-topic.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>