httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: apachen - 3rd-party modules
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:12:23 GMT
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     My understanding is that the canonical procedure is to
>
>      1. Create a modules/foo directory.
>      2. Populate it with mod_foo.c (and any other source/include files).
>      3. Create a modules/foo/Makefile that knows the dependencies
>         (especially the include files from ../../core).
>      4. Insert an "AddModule modules/foo/mod_foo.o" into Configuration.
>
>     I don't see any other way of doing it, short of an immense effort on
>     the part of Configure or its ilk to figure out the dependencies -
>     and even that couldn't work on a multi-source module like the proxy.

Okay, then. -1 on the whole source re-org until we can figure out a way
to let the one-file modules that we've been using since 0.8 work with
1.3. I'm not going to let us require that every module author create their own
Makefile for a dinky little ten-line module. Especially since it would
mean that we'd have to explain to all our users how to use their modules
that work with 1.0 and 1.1 and 1.2 (and will still compile just fine with
1.3), and explain how to create a Makefile. Doesn't sounds like a good
idea to me.

The whole idea of the source reorg is to have things make more sense,
and work better, not the other way around.

Oh, and I think the whole way the apachen Makefiles work may need to be
rewritten. For example: if I change a file besides a regex sourece file
or modules.c, and recompile, the object file gets recompiled, but the
httpd binary does not, because make thinks its "up to date". -1 also
until that gets fixed.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>