httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: Win32 name canonicalisation
Date Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:44:54 GMT
On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Here's a not particularly efficient implementation of name
> canonicalisation for Win32. Now all we need to do is figure out where to
> slot it :-)
> It isn't Apache-ised, just written as a simple test console program.

One major problem with this (besides the fact that it's written in C++;
it took me twenty minutes of trying to figure out why it wasn't compiling
as a C file before I realized this) is that it doesn't work when a file
doesn't exit (Windows pops up an error). And Apache likes to deal with
files that don't necessarily exist.

Ideally, I'd like to see something like this at the beginning of
directory_walk, that actually modifies r->filename. That way, not only
will <Directory> and <Files> work correctly, but any module that keys off
r->filename won't be made insecure through the use of 8.3 filenames.

I'm not sure that calling strlwr() is a good idea. It avoids having to
make all the strcmps into strcasecmps, but it means that we'd have to
ensure that all the <Directory>, etc... entries are also strlwred (which
might not be so bad).

-- Alexei Kosut <>

View raw message