httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: got the license for InstallShield
Date Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:15:55 GMT
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Eric Esselink wrote:

> The exe will contain everything, including sources. However there are
> three choices in installing :
> - Typical
> - Compact
> - Custom
> Both typical and compact will NOT install the sources. For sources you'll
> need to select Custom (and then select sources).

Hmm. I suppose that could work. I'm not convinced, though.

> > whatever configuration files InstallShield needs, though, so people who
> > owned InstallShield (including the Apache Group, when it creates the
> > binary version of Apache/Windows) could create our installer.
> Allowing others to change the setup, and possible break it, is asking for
> troubles.

The Apache Group strongly beleives in giving people enough rope to hang
themselves, and then ignoring bug reports about the resulting rash of
suicides :)

Remember, Apache is a completely public project. Everything we do is made
available publicly. I see absolutely no reason to keep some config files
secret, just because we're afraid people might screw things up. If we
were afraid of that, we'd still be trying to get Apache 0.7 to work,
because Shambhala's module support would have feared us too
much. Imagine, letting people easily decide which parts of the server
they want to install... *shudder* ;)

[...]

> NT is a totally different world, which requires totally different rules...

But the Apache Group has rules too, and if Windows (95 as well as
NT. Stop forgetting that) can't play by those rules, I'm sure we can
make Microsoft come around to our way of thinking sooner or later... :)

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>