httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: c++ safing core
Date Fri, 08 Aug 1997 05:59:24 GMT
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Stanley Gambarin wrote:

[...]

> Since  most of the developers working on Win32 systems develop
> their applications using C++ as a choice of an implementation language,
> it is also reasonable to assume that they would want to develop their
> Apache modules using C++.  Current implementation of the apache provides
> no mechanism for easy integration of the C++ modules into apache server.
> So, I think that we/you/us should at least make the header files C++
> safe by adding
> 	#ifdef __cplusplus
> 	extern "C" {
> 	#endif
> 	...list of function prototypes
> 	#ifdef __cplusplus
> 	}
> 	#endif
> to allow C++ developers to at least include header files from the core and
> compile the apache and their modules using C++ compiler.  An extra step
> would be to provide an actual C++ module that does absolutely nothing, but
> sits there and hogs the CPU:)
> In any case, what's your opinion, we'd like to know !!!.

I suppose we could do this. But first, Apache will not compile with a C++
compiler: alloc.c/h uses the term "pool" twice in what in C are seperate
namespaces (the struct namespace and the type namespace), but in C++,
they are the same. It's a simple fix, and doesn't affect the rest of
Apache, in C or C++, but it should be noted that in the period of over a
year since this has been brought to our attention, it has not been
fixed. In other words, the Apache Group has not historically (as a whole,
not individually) thought very highly of C++.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>