httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: localization of apache.org content/apache server
Date Wed, 06 Aug 1997 18:31:31 GMT
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Eric Esselink wrote:

> The other things that need to happen for Apache4NT :

Define "need" :) Actually, I suspect that InstallSheild, whether a good
idea or not, will not happen for 1.3. I expect that we'll feature-freeze
within a week or so, and release a 1.3b1 soon thereafter, followed
shortly by 1.3. Of course, I also predicted that 1.2 would be released by
September of 1996.

> - Switch from config files to NT Registry

No. For one thing, you'd have to rewrite the entire Apache configuration
mechanism, which I simply don't believe is feasible. We plan to do it for
2.0, so perhaps that might be the time to add the ability to use NT's
tools to administer the server.

And don't forget that running the server on Windows 95 is also
important. As Ben pointed out, using Apache as a web server is
neccessarily the main thrust of this release. Certainly, it probably does
not perform as well as Apache for Unix, or real Windows web servers. It
is probably more useful for other things, like a small web site that's
being moved over from Unix, or a personal web server by a techie, or a
little web server that comes on a CD-ROM and is used to serve web pages
from the disc.

> - Make GUI tool to admin the Apache WebServer.

Good luck. People have been talking about doing this for Apache for
years. It hasn't happened yet, at least not really.

> - Make it work with Microsoft Frontpage, so the content can be administered
> easily.

I suspect many people would disagree with you here :) At any rate, Apache
should work with Frontpage already. At least mostly.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>