httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Apache Documentation Project !!
Date Tue, 05 Aug 1997 07:06:08 GMT
On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Eric Esselink wrote:

> Really cool would be to have the doc's in PDF format ! I like pdf because
> it's easy
> to manouvre around the doc, and the print-out is book quality.
> Html is nice for an online ref. doc, but not for something to read a lot.
> Pdf is a BMW 8 series compared with Html which is merely a Geo Metro when
> it
> comes to doc's.

But HTML has one great advantage; it's portable, it's well-known, and
it's easy to edit for everyone. The original docs were written in SGML,
and David Robinson translated them to HTML and PostScript. But we dropped
the SGML version about ten minutes after he wrote them, because no one
wanted to maintain them. We're all web folk, we can all do HTML.

If people want to run the HTML files through a HTML-to-PostScript or
HTML-to-PDF or HTML-to-AmigaWord 0.7 converter, that's fine with me, but
I think we should definitedly keep the source docs in HTML.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>