httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: chunking too often?
Date Sun, 03 Aug 1997 01:10:18 GMT
On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> No it's not a waste to be able to reliably tell the client that they
> received the entire message and not part of the message.  Consider a proxy
> which is caching a response from a server when the network hiccups and
> it's only 50% of the way through the response.  Without chunking,
> Content-Length, or multipart/byteranges there is no way for the proxy to
> know that it received the entire response.  (In practice Content-MD5 can
> also do the same thing.)

Good point. Chunking all responses without Content-length is fine by me,
I was just wondering if there was a good reason to do so.

Actually, I wonder how much effort is involved in automatically
(configurable, of course) computing a Content-MD5 footer for all chunked

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>