httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Hyperreal II
Date Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:22:21 GMT
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 07:00 PM 8/27/97 -0500, Randy Terbush wrote:
> >You probably don't want to discuss this.. but. :-)
>
> No problem, I've got what I think are good reasons for each.

> >>   3COM 3c905 100/10baseT
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >The Intels are a bit cheaper and work better under FreeBSD.
>
> But they work far worse under Linux.

Don't worry, you will end up using FreeBSD anyway.  <g>

[...]
> >>   RedHat Linux
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Can we talk about that? :-)
>
> I chose Linux over FreeBSD in the end because Linux appears to have better
> Java support, and it appears it will stay that way.  Of all the Linuxes, I
> felt RedHat were the most serious about creating a stable server platform
> (whereas if this was a desktop I would probably have chosen Caldera).  But
> I'm willing to consider more arguments for or against, privately :)  Maybe
> I'll make it dual-boot, and have it switch OS's at midnight, just for fun....

Since my argument so important, I will give it here: FreeBSD works,
Linux is cool.  <g>  Whatever you do I'm sure both will work fine
(although I am quite leery about a lot of Linux things... but that's
your problem, not mine), I just think FreeBSD is nicer, more stable
development wise, more stable under load, and less of a security
hassle.  Not that Linux is inherently more secure than FreeBSD,
but it tends to be more a mish-mash of different software and there
are, of course, more people writing stupid exploits to break into
Linux boxes.

Your box, your choice, your life.  I certainly won't loose sleep either
way.