httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: addition to the bugdb form
Date Wed, 27 Aug 1997 01:11:24 GMT
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Already mailed them.  And I mailed the debian people about their #if 0
> stuff.

Oh.  My.  Gosh.  Time for a good rant.

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/unstable/source/web/apache_1.2.4-1.diff.gz

Hey, we don't understand this code lets attempt to hack it and comment it
out.

Let's put our config files in /etc/apache.

Let's have a /usr/lib/apache.

Let's include mod_usertrack to make everyone happy with lots of cookies.
May not end up being run though with their funky dynamic system.

Let's include perl_module for fun.  Nothing against mod_perl, simply
that when someone says they are running "Apache" without knowing
they did anything else...

What is:

  int i = atoi("1")

supposed to mean?

Let's put CGIs in /usr/lib/cgi-bin.

Let's uncomment BindAddress * to make people even more confused.

Let's have /var/lib/apache for the proxy cache.

Let's alias /doc to /usr/doc.

Let's hardcode in -lcrypt in the htpasswd makefile for fun.

Let's change the name of the binary to apache from httpd and make all
sorts of other silly changes like httpd_monitor to apache_monitor, even
though it doesn't even work on our platform since we are using shared
memory.  But hey, since we are just changing httpd to apache, we will
still call it httpd_monitor, just have everywhere refer to it as
apache_monitor.

Let's not give any feedback to the Apache people, we can just fix bugs here
and feel special.

Let's restart Apache after log rotation by using killall -HUP.

Let's complain about having /etc/apache as a bogus directory even
though we say to use it.

Let's encourage people to make htpasswd setuid root.

Let's put mime.types in /etc.

Let's make a /usr/include/apache (!??!)

Let's have some conf file for some silly program to scan
ftp.apache.org:/pub/dist for new copies of Apache.

Let's update /etc/passwd by creating a new one then moving it over,
ignoring the concept of file locking.

Some of the above are more important than others.

Now I remember why I don't use Linux... I don't mind the OS and a
new kernel can be quite refreshing.  It is using it that is the
problem.