httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: patch for extra server error info to client
Date Sun, 24 Aug 1997 17:53:57 GMT
On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > Still a work in progress.  Anyone like or dislike this feature?
> > Yes, it does need to be setup to be configurable, probably with a default
> > of disabled. This seems to me like it would be a good Options setting,
>
> It could be useful. It could also be unwanted baggage. How about
> #ifdef's  ?

That could be done with an ifdef wrapper around the function that sets the
error string.  Note that even if it was disabled, it would still be passed
to CGIs in the environment when you use an ErrorDocument.  I looked at it,
and I'm not convinced the overhead is an issue because it only does
anything when an internal server error happens.

> Also, it might be usful to add URLs to the disgnostic messages that
> point people at a more comprehensive explanation on an apache.org page.

That would require we have one.  <g>  But good idea.

The other thing I would like to do is modify the error message a bit to
include server name, date, requested URL, client hostname, etc. in a form
that is useful for someone reporting the error to the admin.

> Dare I ask what a TLOSAP is ?  :-)

The list of silly Apache people, of course.