httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite how-to-release.html
Date Sat, 23 Aug 1997 00:51:42 GMT
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> To be more concrete, you had
>
>    find . -name ".cvsignore" -print | xargs rm
>
> and I replaced it with
>
>    find . -name ".cvsignore" -exec rm {} \;

Hey, if we can get into religious disagreements...

rm `find . -name ".cvsignore" -print`

I never user -exec rm because if I have enough files that they are too
long for the command line above (eg. 500000+ darn file news control/
directory, well before I patched things anyway)) then they are too long to
have the overhead of forking rm once for each rm.

xargs does _not_ accomplish the same thing as -exec.

In this case, however, if the Apache tree grows too big for my method then
it is too big for me.  <g>

(not to say I really care which command is listed...)