httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: fcntl() errors on Solaris
Date Wed, 13 Aug 1997 06:00:24 GMT
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > I don't think that should be a problem.  But that code isn't there right
> > now; what is there now is causing problems.
>
> No, that code's there right now. Apache locks a file in <server
> root>/logs. Which in my case is an NFS mounted directory, which is no
> root>doubt causing my locking problems.
>
> But Randy's right in that that directory is guaranteed to exist and be
> relatively safe. You can't say that as well about /tmp or /usr/tmp or
> /var/tmp.

The current code only puts it in the same location as the _default_ pid
file; I want it somewhere that people don't have to care about virtuall
all the time, since it isn't a file that even has a directory entry after
it is opened since it is unlink()ed right away.  server_root/logs was
thought to be such a directory, but as it turns out, /tmp exists on a far
higher percentage of systems than server_root/logs does.  There are many
packages where they put the logs somewhere else and don't have a logs
directory.  Many many many.