httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: fcntl() errors on Solaris
Date Wed, 13 Aug 1997 01:59:04 GMT
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > NFS locking isn't, which is probably the biggest reason for your troubles.
>
> Yeah. I suspected that, but I wanted to email and make sure. Switching
> LockFile to a local file seems to work.

I'm still contemplating if it is wise to move the default lockfile to
/tmp.  Shoot, I wanted to try to resolve the issue of lockfile placement
before the next 1.2 release went out but forgot all about it... oh well.

The issue is that many platforms don't keep the directory structure, but
seperate things into conf files, logs into /var/log, etc.  When someone
upgrades their Apache and doesn't have a logs directory under server_root,
it will all of a sudden choke.  Was even worse in 1.2.1 where the name of
the lockfile it was trying to create was accidently ommitted.

/usr/tmp or /var/tmp are bad because not all platforms have them.  Do a
reasonable subset of all Unix platforms have a /tmp?  /tmp is probably the
most likely to be local.

I'm undecided if it is worth changing the default.

> > Did you try using flock?  May need to use libucb which messes some
> > things up at times.
>
> No, but according to the manpage "flock() has been implemented on top of
> fcntl(2)", so I wouldn't expect it to do anything differently.

Grumble, mutter.  Upgrade to 2.6 and see if it fixes it.  For years I have
been keeping a list of Solaris bugs that 2.6 is supposed to fix; will be
interesting when it arrives here to see how many it actually does.  <g>

I am disinclined to spend lots of effort to get around something that is a
clear-cut braindamaged OS, but since your concerns about the child exit
process are valid and something should be done there anyway, if whoever
fixes that can work something reasonable in at that time, go for it.