httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: BindAddress
Date Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:33:23 GMT
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > Is BindAddress deprecated?  Doesn't Listen offer a more complete and more
> > flexible setup?  Am I missing something that BindAddress does that Listen
> > doesn't?
> >
> > Just doing some more work on the config files and thinking about removing
> > the BindAddress example as extraneous in light of Listen.
>
> I always considered BindAddress/Port to be mutually exclusive of Listen.
> I even wrote a patch (but never submitted it) which issued warnings if
> users used both Listen and one or more of BindAddress/Port. As I wrote in
> htdocs/manual/bind.html (for Apache 1.1): "Listen can be used instead of
> BindAddress and Port".
>
> Is there any reason why Port is needed if Listen is being used?

Don't think so.

Hmm.  In the name of siplification, why not remove the Port directive from
the sample config file and just have a Listen 80 there.  Is a lot easier
than explaining that you have to do this if you are doing that, and you
don't need a Listen 80 unless you have another Listen directive and then
you do but sometimes you don't unless you do.