httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: Proposed ANNOUNCE for 1.2.2 (II)
Date Sat, 09 Aug 1997 19:49:12 GMT
I forgot to backport the change to print the name of the lock file for
both FLOCK and FCNTL locking... normally the way things work is the
version is kept at -dev until it is actually rolled, then moved to 1.2.2
just for the few minutes it takes to roll.  Since it is already at 1.2.2,
I'm not sure what the deal is...  I guess I will just commit it in a
little bit once I wake up, then we have to be sure the tarball is rerolled
properly because we have a bunch of them claiming to be 1.2.2 in

Normally I prefer just including the src/CHANGES file in the release.  It
is what people have come to expect and is what I want to see.  Oh, the
CHANGES file in HEAD needs to be brought up to sync with that in 1.2.  In
any case, the CHANGES file is normally put in /dist/ so if you don't
include it, then include a URL for it.  Will probably need to have a
CHANGES.1.2 and CHANGES.1.3 or something...

I would also suggest that you mention something about this being a bugfix
release, no major changes, etc.

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> OK, I've revised the notable changes list and replaced the detailed changes
> list by just a hint to src/CHANGES. Because such in-depth details are not
> needed in an ANNOUNCE message, I think. And I added a header to the top to
> summarize the message (What=ANNOUNCE, Who=Apache, Where=URL, Why=Version) for
> the impatient.
> Again, feel free to fix me.
> |Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Apache 1.2.2 Released
> |Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
> |To:
>                             ANNOUNCE
>                         Apache webserver
>                          version 1.2.2
> Greetings:
> We would like to announce the availability of the Apache webserver
> software version 1.2.2. It is recommended that users of earlier
> versions of the Apache webserver upgrade their installations.
> For in-depth details about every change see the file src/CHANGES
> in the distribution. Notable changes in this release include:
>    o  Virtual host <Directory>/<Location> sections now considered
>       after the main server <Directory>/<Location> sections, so that
>       overrides work properly in all cases.
>    o  Added "downgrade-1.0" variable for use with mod_browser
>       to downgrade Apache to HTTP/1.0 even when the request was
>       of type HTTP/1.1. This can be used to workaround problems with
>       the latest MSIE 4.0b2 browser. See the page
>       for more details.
>    o  Full integration of the last externally available mod_rewrite
>       version into Apache Group's source repository and inclusion of
>       essential bugfixes from the ongoing Apache 1.3 development line.
>    o  A change in 1.2.1 introduced a problem with SIGHUP under
>       Solaris 2.x (up through 2.5.1). This has been fixed now.
> See the main Apache website ( for downloading
> instructions. This site also includes pointers to many mirror sites that
> may be closer to you.
> Share and enjoy!

View raw message