httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Now I've gone and done it
Date Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:19:39 GMT
On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Circumstances beyond my control have lead to my purchase of a WinNT
> 4.0 server....

But will it run Apache?

> How the hell do you remote administer these things?

Hahahahahahahahaha.  Don't you know, you can do anything remotely from a
telnet session that you could with a Unix box.  You don't have to use the
pretty interface.  Snicker.  Fat chance.

You can do minimal remote admin by installing a telnet client, but the
only real way is by using a remote access program like PC Anywhere.  We
have a bunch of NT machines colocated here, and that is what most of them
do.

Oh, there is a NT web admin interface of some sort that can do basic
things, but I have never used it.

> Anyone who could share a couple of "start here" pointers would be
> very much appreciated.

Don't use the server for anything and it will be fine.  Don't even think
about installing programs on it once you have the servers running.  Don't
even think about logging into it.  Just stand back and sit there waiting
to grab it when it falls over.  Nothing more specific, sorry.