httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: bsdi --> freebsd
Date Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:52:44 GMT
You are probably smoking crack.

Binary compatability works quite well, but there are far to many things
that use "private" (as in not in any standard API) kernel calls that just
won't work.

If you had a spare disk and a temp machine you could mount it on, I would
suggest an install of FreeBSD on that disk, configure it, then pop it in.

Oh yes, you can't mount your BSDI partitions.  :(  ISTR it being related
to difffering slice code; the fs is the same, it just can't quite find it.
I recall a patch that made it work right, but it was something of a hack.
I could try to find it if you want, but it isn't overly pretty to do.

It could take a little while to do.