httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject mod_mime/942: Inconsistent and improper communication with Netscape browser to play MIDI files (fwd)
Date Sat, 02 Aug 1997 20:29:35 GMT
My suggestion on the below is that perhaps Netscape doesn't send the Host:
header correctly when playing background sounds.

I don't have a box I can test such things on; if someone could give the
below pages a try and sniff the network to see exactly what it is sending
for a request, it would be appreciated...  I will ask the submitter what
their logfiles say.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dinh Le <dinh@flic.net>
To: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Subject: mod_mime/942: Inconsistent and improper communication with Netscape browser to play
MIDI files

>Number:         942
>Category:       mod_mime
>Synopsis:       Inconsistent and improper communication with Netscape browser to play
MIDI files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The netscape browsers 3.0 and 4.0.1 cannot play midi background music
on the URL http://www.brazil-brasil.com/open.htm, yet it can on the URL
HTTP://www.flic.net/~dinh/open.htm.  Those two URLs have the exact same
content and brazil-brasil.com is a virtual host on flic.net with the
following configuration:

<VirtualHost brazil-brasil.com>
ServerAdmin webmaster@brazil-brasil.com
DocumentRoot /u/brazzil/html
ServerName brazil-brasil.com
ServerAlias brazil-brasil.com *.brazil-brasil.com
ErrorLog logs/brazil-brasil.com-error_log
TransferLog logs/brazil-brasil.com-access_log
Alias /icons/ /u/brazzil/icons/
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /u/brazzil/cgi-bin/
</VirtualHost>

After reading through the FAQ, I tried adding

	AddType audio/x-midi .mid .midi .kar

to the httpd configuration file but it did not help.

Appreciate your help on this problem,

Dinh
dinh@flic.net
>How-To-Repeat:
Yes.  I'm running netscape 3.0 on a Windows 95 system.  The browser
cannot play background music on the URL www.brazil-brasil.com/open.htm
but it can on the URL www.flic.net/~dinh/open.htm.  Like I mentioned
already, the contents on those two URLs are exactly the same.

Here is one of the methods it uses to start up the background music:

<EMBED SRC="xosatana.mid" AUTOSTART=true VOLUME=100 HIDDEN=true WIDTH=10
 HEIGHT=10></EMBED><NOEMBED><BGSOUND SRC="xosatana.mid"></NOEMBED>
>Fix:
I mucked around with the configuration files without any luck.
In short, I don't have a clue