httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@bellglobal.com
Subject Re: [FWD] mod_javascript proposal
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:28:09 GMT
> > Nice idea I think, but writing a complete JavaScript implementation in
> > Perl is harder as he expects, I think.
>
> Why not use mod_php as a base: it offers most of the features anyone
> (except, of course, perl'ists...) would ever want to use.

Just a note to keep you guys up to speed on where mod_php is and where it is
going.

PHP Version 3.0 is currently being thinktanked up here.  (The Thinktank being
my subway ride home from work every day).  A complete rewrite of the parser
is underway.  It gets rid of all the peculiarities of the current parser.
The new parser can handle even the most complex C-like syntax, so I may be
able to do something about making it look a bit more like JavaScript although
making it 100% JavaScript compatible is not something I am motivated to do.
I would have to add some object oriented mechanisms which would probably not
appeal to the current PHP user base.

On the database connectivity side there is currently native support for:

  mSQL1, mSQL2, MySQL, Sybase, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Illustra, FileProPlus,
  Solid, Adabas D, and the various Unix dbm implementations.

There is also a new ODBC connectivity module so if the database isn't
supported natively and it has an ODBC interface you can still get at it.
This is quite important for the NT version.

But why use it over mod_perl?  No real solid reason.  mod_perl is a lot
more powerful and the parser is better (although for PHP 3.0 that may not be
true).  mod_perl can be set up such that the script is html-embedded just
like mod_php is by default.  mod_php is a bit better at jumping back and
forth between script and html modes without losing state.  mod_php also has
a much smaller memory footprint.  mod_perl can be used to write full
Apache modules and it can be used in the Apache conf files.  mod_php can't
do any of that.  mod_php does have a SAFE_MODE which appeals to ISP's.  This
keeps users in a tight little box where their scripts can't interfere with
other peoples' scripts and they can't do much harm to the system.

So, in general, for simple applications that aren't too script-heavy, mod_php
is probably a good choice.  Using mod_perl to do a couple of simple database
queries and printing out a table of the results is probably overkill.
Personally I use both mod_php and mod_perl in projects I work on.

-Rasmus