httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: bug in new Makefile
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:48:49 GMT
>From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
>
>Surely there cannot be any problems building libraries since mod_proxy and
>regex have always been built as libraries and linked in. Provided that the
>libraries are listed in the _right_ order on the link line of course.

    Exactly.

>>     can cause problems on systems that don't do iterative loading.
>
>Do you mean doing makes in successive sub-directories?

    No, I mean circular searching of symbol tables until either all
    unresolved references are located or determined to be missing.

    Consider "cc -o a.out refsA.o libAB.a libC.a", where refsA
    references a symbol symA, libAB contains modules that define symA
    and symB, and libC contains a module that references symB.  The link
    will fail unless the loader either registers all symbols for
    conditional inclusion when it processes an input file, or else does
    an iterative search.  (It's unfortunate that I've only seen this
    technology on an architecture no longer under the sun. :-(

    So yes, the order is critical, particularly if libraries contain
    multiple modules.

    However, I completely withdraw my objection; I've been convinced
    that this is a Good Thing (or at least not a Bad Thing :-).

    #ken    :-)}