httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Rename SetEnvIf* to RequestMatch* ?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:22:54 GMT
>From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
>
>I am against this naming scheme. The semantics of SetEnvIf are to set and
>environment variable *if* some condition is true.

    No, it does a thing if a regular expression is matched.  Not
    quite the same thing.  It happens that the thing it does is
    setting/unsetting an envariable.

>                                                  So it seems that
>SetEnvIf is a completely logical, correct and explanatory name.

    And completely out of line with the other directives that do things
    if an RE is matched (BrowserMatch, FilesMatch, LocationMatch,
    DirectoryMatch, AliasMatch, ScriptAliasMatch, and RedirectMatch).

>                                       Leaving the directive as SetEnvIf
>makes its similarity with SetEnv clear, and has the fortunate side-effect
>of keeping both directives close together in sorted lists of directives.

    I don't see that as being much of a benefit, and in any case it's
    easily addressed by q.v. links.

>Keeping the name as SetEnvIf also allows us room in the future to expand
>its role to (for example) set an envvar based on an already existing env
>var.

    I submit that any already-sent envariables are attributes of the
    request, even if set in a wider scope (such as server-wide), and
    hence covered by the name

    Are you exercising a veto, or just registering disapproval?

    #ken    :-)}