httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: PR#1014 (request for Content-Location output header field)
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:55:40 GMT
>The original submitter wanted Content-Location so that caches could do
>very dubious things with it.  On another reading of the spec I can't see
>that Content-Location gives a cache anywhere near as much flexibiliy as
>ETags do.  I just think the possibility of caches getting things wrong
>with C-L is just way too huge ... I know that section 13.10 warns against
>a really obvious attack involving C-L, but I still worry about it.

The attack isn't all that important.  Content-Location existed before Etag,
which is why there is some overlap.  Also, we don't always send Etag.

>But what's missing for an authoring system is a method of getting a list
>of the variants for the purposes of editing ... so I still don't see how
>useful it is.  Although response code 300 looks like it could head in that
>direction.

Agreed.  WebDAV is working on these issues, and is not currently using
Content-Location for that purpose.  I haven't pressed for its implementation
precisely because of the overhead and the lack of clarity regarding how
it would be used.  Perhaps we could make it a configurable option, defaulting
to off?

....Roy