httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: bug in new Makefile
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:24:47 GMT
>From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
>
>On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>> At any rate, doesn't this do everything, without caring what the modules
>> directories build?
>>
>> subdirs :
>> 	for i in $(SUBDIRS); do \
>> 	    ( cd $$i; $(MAKE) ) \
>> 	done
>
>Ok, here is a cleanup for the new Configure. This now builds libraries for
>all the subdirectories where it creates Makefiles (os/unix, core,
>modules/*).

    This I don't like.  Why do libraries?  I'm very concerned that this
    can cause problems on systems that don't do iterative loading.

>            There is no dependency from the top level makefile to the
>libraries or other source files. Doing a make causes a make in each
>sub-directory (os/unix, core, modules). The make in modules then does each
>(configured) module directory.

    That's fine; so we end up with a no-op make in each directory.  Big
    deal; we've done that ever since the modules/Makefile started being
    generated.  But I don't understand the rationale for the libraries.

    #ken    :-)}