httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Redirect to negotiated docs (PR#649)
Date Sat, 16 Aug 1997 00:55:44 GMT
>Yeah, good point. The server is configured to content negotiate where
>there is only one variant to pick from. Kind of like an automatic
>permanent redirect but without the cache-ability. So presumably Apache
>could spot the fact that there is only one variant and then not set
>r->no_cache.

Yes.  In fact, I thought it was doing that already.  It's crazy not to.
Multiviews with only a single variant is *not* negotiation.

>Except I'm pretty sure that HTTP will require that servers allow for the
>number of variant to change at any time.

No, if that were the case then nothing could ever be cached, and the value
of Vary would always be "*".  The HTTP requirement is, essentially, that
the cache is allowed to assume that the response won't vary under any more
dimensions for the duration in which the current response is fresh.
Note that there is no HTTP requirement that negotiated resources be
marked as uncachable -- that is a decision to be made by the origin server.

....Roy