httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Signatures, and sealing wax, and..
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 20:52:08 GMT
>From the fingers of Jim Jagielski flowed the following:
>
>Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>>
>> Those two, plus dbm_auth, anon_auth, expires, headers, and setenvif.  The
>> last one in particular since we have to provide lines to make sure broken
>> browsers still work.
>
>They make sense to add.

    mod_setenvif is already one of the default modules in place of
    mod_browser (for 1.3 and following, anyway - it isn't in 1.2 at
    all).

>> I'd like to dump "compress", personally.
>
>I'd +1 that...

    And I'd -1 it.  Why would you dump it?  What's it hurting?  Not
    everyone has gunzip, and a lot of people install Apache on intranets
    that may or may not have access to the Internet.  By dumping
    compress, you're forcing them to ensure they have not only Apache,
    but gunzip too - which is irrelevant to Apache's operation.  Don't
    force them to do business your way - who are you, anyway, MS? <g>

    #ken    :-)}