httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: apachen - 3rd-party modules
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:04:07 GMT
>From the fingers of Alexei Kosut flowed the following:
>Can someone please explain something to me: I've checked out apachen. I
>have a module file (mod_foo.c, say) that I've obtained from
>somewhere. How the heck do I get it to compile with Apache?
>The only way I've been able to figure out how to do it, short of creating
>its own Makefile and such, is to put it into modules/standard. Not my
>idea of the correct thing to do. And hardly easy to figure out.

    My understanding is that the canonical procedure is to

     1. Create a modules/foo directory.
     2. Populate it with mod_foo.c (and any other source/include files).
     3. Create a modules/foo/Makefile that knows the dependencies
        (especially the include files from ../../core).
     4. Insert an "AddModule modules/foo/mod_foo.o" into Configuration.

    I don't see any other way of doing it, short of an immense effort on
    the part of Configure or its ilk to figure out the dependencies -
    and even that couldn't work on a multi-source module like the proxy.

    Hand-assembling the Makefile seems unavoidable.

    #ken    :-)}

View raw message