httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Signatures, and sealing wax, and..
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:58:35 GMT
    As I recall, for 1.2.0 we had some disparities when it came to the
    content of binary kits.  I'd like to suggest the following, and open
    the ball for discussion.  For 1.2.3, or whenever we next do a
    release with binaries.  Wherever I say "should" below, I mean that
    all the binaries must follow the same rules, whatever we decide them
    to be.

    1. Binaries should be built with the vanilla Configuration (i.e.,
       no additional modules).  Possible exceptions: mod_status and
       mod_info?

    2. httpd image should include platform name (maybe
       "httpd.`helpers/GuessOS`"?)

    3. Tar files should be available compressed with compress(1) *and*
       gzip(1) (nothing new here).

    4. Compressed tarchives should have accompanying .md5 *and* .asc
       (PGP) signature files available.  (Yes, Ben, I know it's not as
       good as signing the uncompressed tarchive, but it means people
       can verify what they copy from the site w/o having to uncompress
       it first.)

    5. src/Configuration should use the platform's native cc(1) if it's
       considered good, and *not* gcc - unless the native cc is suspect
       or downright broken (HP-UX, can you hear me calling? ;-).

    6. README files should all be virtually identical, describing the
       above and whatever minimal exceptions there may be.

    (Now, where's my flame-retardant suit?)

    #ken    :-)}