httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Order of negotiation (was: Re: Docs problems?)
Date Thu, 07 Aug 1997 19:14:51 GMT
>From the fingers of Dean Gaudet flowed the following:
>
>On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>     I've idly wondered for a long time how to specify a preference order
>>     for multiviews, but never looked into it.  For instance, just what
>>     *does* it look for if enabled and you have a "DirectoryIndex foo"?
>
>It does negotiation on foo.  You can specify preferences by putting in a
>.var file ... not the best solution though.

    "Does negotation" - bah, that's not an answer, just an handwave.
    (No offense, Dean.)  Will it find a .html before .cgi?  What about
    .shtml?  If the order isn't clearly deterministic and documentable,
    I think there's a definite need for some way to specify the order
    (w/o resorting to a .var file).

    #ken    :-)}