httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: I/O filter API
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:47:20 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > I don't see why sfio should be a problem - we had it running all over
> > the place with RST's experimental version.
>
> That's not my recollection. Only about five people ever ran apache-XX,
> and I defenitely recall the porting issues involved with the sfio package
> included being non-trivial. I have a memory of a long configuration file
> that needed to be set up for each OS, although there were defaults for a
> couple. Does anyone have a link where I can download a recent copy of
> sfio and look at it?
>
> I do know that RST switched to bstdio (a BSD-based stdio replacement that
> Chris Provenzano used for his pthreads implementation, I believe), for
> whatever reason, in later versions of apache-XX. I don't remember why
> exactly he ceased using sfio, but there very well may have been a reason
> for it.

Hmm, perhaps I was thinking of bstdio. I'd forgotten it was that way
round (thought he ended up at sfio).

> While I agree that APIs are useful, this is really less of an interface
> issue, and more of a "which code should we use" issue, because the API Ed
> and I have been talking about can be implemented just as well on top of
> sfio or any other full-featured stdio replacement as it can be written
> into the BUFF code.

Right. One thing I forgot to mention is that however it is done, it has
to be thread-safe :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org